Fashion FWD >> Disruption through Design is an upcoming exhibition and a celebration of fabulous frocks, beautiful couture and the work and voices of fashion disruptors. Alongside this exhibition of the brazen and the chic, is a lush 220-page catalogue featuring beautiful photography of fashion that defies convention as well as words from emerging design finalists, Dunedin’s Godmothers of fashion, curators, textile and fashion experts. We want your help to get it printed.
This book will be something that will be treasured by those who love fashion and design. Please help us to make it a reality.
Fashion FWD >> is a collaboration between Otago Museum, iD Fashion Awards, and Otago Polytechnic, gathering the work of iD Emerging Designer finalists from its inception and garments from around the world, with selected items from Otago Museum’s collection. The exhibition is designed by the Otago Museum creative team who have won prestigious international design awards.
– 220 pages
– 24 iD Emerging Designer Award finalists from over 16 years
– 42 items from the Otago Museum costume and textile collection
– Interviews with the ‘Godmothers’ of Dunedin Fashion
– Margarita Robertson (NOM*d), Tanya Carlson (Carlson), Sara Munro (Company of Strangers, Donna Tulloch (Mild Red), Charmaine Reveley
– Essay by Ben Barry, Chair and Associate Professor of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, School of Fashion, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada. Ben has recently been appointed Dean of Fashion at The New School’s Parsons School of Design in New York
– Essays by curators Moira White, Dr Jane Malthus and Dr Margo Barton
– Designed by the Otago Museum design team
– The publication will be printed locally in Dunedin.
The publication will be available to the public from Saturday 27 March.
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP
The exhibition was due to open in May 2020. Covid not only pushed back this opening date, but the absence of international visitors left our institution, which is not fully funded, in a less than stable financial position.
While Fashion FWD >> will open 27 March 2021, the ‘nice to haves’ like our beautiful catalogue are no longer possible. This book will be something that will be treasured by those who love fashion and design. Help us to make it a reality.
THANKS AND UNBOUNDED GRATITUDE TO
McMillan&Co Lawyers who are match funders. This means that the amount that you donate will double. This generosity is gratefully received.